As I always say, the best method of cooking in the summertime is grilling. In the summer, the produce is plentiful, the fish is fresh, and grilling is the best way to feature simple, delicious flavors in a beautiful way. I was on Martha's Vineyard for this meal, and we picked up some fresh whole trout, tomatoes, fennel, and spinach. All healthy, fresh ingredients that have bold flavors which don't need much else to shine.
For the tomatoes and fennel, I tossed them with olive oil, salt, pepper, chopped garlic, and chopped rosemary, and grilled them in a grill basket until carmelized. I then chopped up the tomato and fennel and mixed it with chopped basil, chopped mozzarella, and orzo to make a fresh grilled vegetable orzo salad. I then sauteed onion and spinach as a nice bright green to go with the dish. For the trout, I simply rubbed the fish with olive oil, salt, and pepper, and filled the fish with a sliced lemon and some rosemary and oregano sprigs before grilling them whole. The dinner was a very simple, fresh, and delicious meal that had bright flavors that tasted like the best parts of summer.
4 whole trout
1 sliced lemon
4 rosemary sprigs
4 oregano sprigs
4 medium tomatoes, halved and seeded
1 fennel bulb halved
3 chopped garlic cloves
1/4 cup chopped rosemary
1/2 cup chopped basil
1/2 cup chopped mozzarella
1 cup orzo
1 bag spinach
1/2 chopped medium onion
salt and pepper
- Preheat the grill (medium high for gas or charcoal)
- Rub the trout with olive oil, salt and pepper and fill the cavities with sliced lemon, and rosemary and oregano sprigs and set aside
- Toss the tomatoes and fennel with olive oil, garlic, salt, pepper, and chopped rosemary and grill until brown. When done, let cool and chop.
- Cook the orzo as directed on the box (usually boil water and add orzo for 8-10 minutes)
- Let the orzo cool and mix with tomato, fennel, basil, and mozzarella
- Heat about a tablespoon of olive oil in a pan and cook onions, add spinach and cover for 3-5 minutes, until spinach is wilted
- Put the trout on the grill and cook for 7-9 minutes aside until meat is flaky and opaque and skin is brown and crispy
- Serve and enjoy!